For the Consumers:
"New Windows Phone dev tools for the next version of Windows Phone is coming in May"
- Couple months before Nodo was released (slowly), the development community received a dev kit upgrade as well.
- Definitely a precursor to "Mango" as it goes on to mention a lot of juice bits
"The next version of Windows Phone will be available to consumers later this year and with introduce many features"
- real time communication and messaging (i.e. Whatsapp, skype, etc, etc as socket support will be enabled)
- Twitter Integration with the People Hub
- Broader connectivity to skydrive
Windows Phone Marketplace will increase from 16 to 35 countries. List of countries are: Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, India, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden and Taiwan.
For us nerds:
- The new Developer Tools will allow you to write apps that make full use of multitasking via fast application switching and background agents
- Over 1,500 new APIs and the support of Silverlight 4
- Access to new sensors (I read this as a new gen WP7 phone with freakin' lasers and heat seeking missles)
- on-device SQL CE database
- Access to phone contacts (I know you can now through the API but it's very sucky) - which also really means that apps like Skype, Whatsapp, Viber could be on their way
- Access to calendar stores
- socket support
- XNA/Silverlight Integration
- Improve Push Notification and Live Tile experience
- New emulator with support for accelerometer and GPS location data