I am also confused about how an app is "featured" but since my normal job keeps me pretty busy, I never had the chance to look.
That is until this morning when I woke up to check out the new applications and and the featured apps. And man was I surprised to find that something I wrote was front and center on the featured apps list.
Canada Border Wait Times was listed in the featured app section and man was I surprised. I released this app around the beginning of February and it constantly sits in the top 50 in the travel & navigation category within the marketplace. Last I checked, it was again hovering between 40-45 spot within the category.
I will report back in a few days with the results of what happens to this app when it gets featured. I have already seen an increase in the ads impressions report.
Before Being Featured:
impressions per day avg: 20
estimate revenue per day avg: 1.5 cents
downloads per day avg: 5
downloads per month: 64
spot in travel & navigation free category: 40-45
After Being Featured (also coincide with Easter Weekend so I am pretty sure it is skewed):
impressions per day avg: 150
estimate revenue per day (it's only been 2 days): 30 cents
I will report back in a few days' time once apphub updates with the figures
Few things you will noticed if you are using free ad-driven apps:
- Ads are annoying but still don't get indie wp7 developers like myself anything close to being significant (considering subscription to appHub is $99 + tax a year)
- Not every developer is Rovio (maker of Angry Birds) or OMGPOP (makers of Draw Something)
- Clicking on apps increases the revenue but no one actually clicks on the ads (next time you use a free, ad driven app, click on the ads once in awhile.. That's why WP7 has a "back" button")
- My wife does laugh at me for being so happy for making 30 cents a day these last couple of days - I do tell her it's 30 times better than before)
- Microsoft pay threshold is $50 for ads.. before you say MS is evil and is all about $$$, Google's pay threshold is $100 for ads - this blog since the beginning 1.5 year ago has 15K visitors which yielded a grand total of $10.18 that I can't have
- 15K visitors to this blog also only yielded 10 ad clicks